Head of DevRel
Team: Developer Relations
Location: London, UK
Ably is the world’s fastest Data Stream Network (DSN) spread over 14 data centers and 175+ points of presence. Each day we stream billions of realtime messages to millions of end-users for thousands of developers around the world. Some of the things our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, live transit updates for three million Chicagoans. Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure that will power and shape the future of the internet.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
In this role
You will be responsible for running the team that drives developer engagement, outreach, platform ecosystem exploration and awareness. Ably’s rapidly growing customers and developer community includes sophisticated CTOs through to tinkerers and hackers. Users of the Ably platform all have one thing in common - they chose our platform and realtime APIs for their simplicity, dependability, and performance, shielding them from the complexity that exists in delivering a reliable globally distributed pub/sub service.
You will be working closely with the Engineering Team, Product Managers, and Marketing, to ensure alignment with our strategy and program execution with the freedom to experiment with new ideas.
You will be successful if you:
- Enjoying writing code, being a polyglot and tinkering with new technologies.
- Like keeping pace with emerging technologies, frameworks, and open source and cloud service.
- Care about developer experiences. You empathise with the challenges developers face and are excited by the prospect of helping developers solve problems.
- Are a strategic thinker and want to be responsible for driving the strategy at Ably to engage with communities, develop partnerships with other like-minded technologists and groups, and promotes Ably’s APIs and open data to a global audience.
- Are excited by the prospect of playing an instrumental role in advancing developer awareness of the rapidly emerging event-driven and realtime APIs.
- Embrace, contribute and advocate for the open movement of source code, data, and protocols. In this role, you will be actively promoting the Ably Hub (www.ably.io/hub) and engaging with communities to embrace and use the streaming open data sets we host for free.
- Enjoy engaging and talking with other developers, be that customers on live chat, online communities, or engineers at conferences.
- Enthusiastic about occasional travel to present at events.
The skills needed:
- At least 10 years of hands-on coding skills, building amongst other things, prototypes, apps or services. You should be familiar with both front-end and back-end technologies.
- Experience speaking at technical conferences, meetups and hackathons, and delivering technical content online.
- Good understanding conceptually of streaming, messaging and pub/sub, experience with event-driven architectures and strong API ecosystem knowledge.
- A good level of written, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Contribution and participation within the Open Source community.
- Track-record of managing a team of direct reports, and leading strategically.
- Participation in online developer communities using social channels such as HackerNews, StackOverFlow, Twitter, etc.
Nice to have skills:
- Experience working in developer relations, advocacy or evangelism.
- Experience working for a startup, or other businesses that have grown quickly.
- Deep understanding of streaming and event-driven products and platforms.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team from the likes of Econsultancy and ThoughtWorks. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. We’re building a company with a diverse set of people who value:
Ownership and impact of work. You have real autonomy and ownership over your work with a visible impact inside Ably, and externally on products powered by Ably that you use in your daily life.
An environment to thrive. Modern, comfy office in the heart of Old Street. Excellent transport links, lots of great food, bars and restaurants nearby, and multiple work spaces to match your working style.
Truly flexible working and not just lip service. We like people to be in the office most of the time, but work should also fit around life and individual ways of working so you’re free to mold hours and environment to your needs.
Work is varied and challenging as we’re solving hard, complex problems that push the limits of what’s possible with today’s software and infrastructure.
What's in it for me?
- Salary: Competitive and negotiable, depending on skills and experience
- Health insurance
- ClassPass membership
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly team breakfast or lunch
- Free drinks and snacks in the office
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences)
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions towards your pension
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
Ably has a culture that values employee freedom and responsibility. Apply to talk to us to see if this role on an impactful and collaborative team is right for you.